The ones that got away....

post by Belle

Since today would have been Alice In Chains' original singer Layne Staley's 46th birthday, I felt it appropriate to introduce a new category - The Ones That Got Away - specifically featuring bands (or in this case, the original lineup of bands) in their heyday which we will never get to experience due to death, disbandment, etc.

One of my favorite bands of ....EVER.... the Grammy- and American Music Award-nominated MTV Video Music Award winners Alice In Chains, with their original lineup of Layne Staley, Jerry Cantrell, Mike Starr, and Sean Kinney, is one such act that I would have loved to have seen when they first exploded onto the scene in the early 90s. Nirvana may have put grunge on the map, but AIC was also one of the most important bands to help carry that movement from Seattle worldwide. I must say that while I would VERY GLADLY go see them with their current lineup of Jerry Cantrell, Mike Inez, Sean Kinney and William DuVall given the opportunity, there is just something about a rising band's first shows that makes them beyond special. Can you imagine seeing a band when they're on the cusp of such profoundly huge success?

This is a recording from Alice In Chains' performance at Seattle's Off Ramp, recorded in 1990:


Video Credit: Jeremy's Channel




R.I.P. Layne Staley
August 22, 1967 - April 5, 2002


Image Credit: Google Images via smellslikealternative.net

2 comments:

AIC has forever been one of my favourite bands since the day I got "Facelift" for my 21st birthday - yes, back in 1991... I can't turn on Layne. I'm too loyal. So, I won't see them now. That's just how it is. ;) Oh, and happy belated.

December 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM comment-delete

Rebeka, I totally understand. There will never be another quite like Layne.

December 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM comment-delete

Post a Comment